Sunday, March 11, 2012

Equipment--Bread Bowls


One of the features of my soapmaking books is the "Myth" sections. In the beginning of each book, I debunk the commonest myths about soapmaking and milk soapmaking.

Breadmaking, especially sourdough, is rife with statements that look to me like myths. One that I've actually disproved is the "nonmetallic container" myth.

Many sourdough recipes insist that you have to use a non-metal bowl. This probably made sense in the days of iron and galvanized kitchenware. It makes no sense at all, chemically or any other way, with stainless steel or enamelware.

And pottery, a major alternative to metal, has its problems. I had a real fancy for a Mason Cash bread bowl at one time. They are so beautiful. Then I realized that the bowls have been made for over a century in the same design. How would I know if a bowl like that was made before it was recognized that lead glazed pottery isn't suitable for food use? Same with any picturesque antique pottery bowl.

So I gave up on the Mason Cash bowl. Here I show a collection of vessels I use for breadmaking. On the left is a large plastic food storage box. Sitting on it, an enamelware soup pot. Beside it, a smaller enamelware soup pot. Then a stainless steel soup pot, a glass measuring pitcher, and a stainless steel bowl. They all work well.

I particularly like the large glass pitcher, because "rise until doubled in bulk" really means something when you have measuring lines.

The plastic container is nice because it seals tightly, which prevents dough from drying out. Especially good if I have to refrigerate a dough overnight.

I've used them all successfully, as well as a larger stainless steel soup pot that wasn't in the photo because it had rye dough in it at the time.

The blue willow platter isn't one of my breadmaking vessels, just background. I love blue willow.

No comments:

Post a Comment