Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Beginning on Wheat Sourdough Sandwich Loaf

The next project is a whole wheat sourdough sandwich loaf. I'm adapting the recipe for the rye boule, or at least that's my plan. Baking in a loaf pan is trickier because you need for your dough to be nice and sour by the time it's ready to bake, and with a set volume, that's a little more difficult. I made one loaf yesterday that turned out OK, but not sour enough. Too much dough for the pan, so I had to bake it before it had really soured. It tastes like slightly sour whole wheat bread. Not what I wanted, but as I've mentioned before, good enough to be happily used. Made the same recipe with a larger pan today. It's still in the oven. Later note: The second loaf came out medium sour, but did not rise as well as I'd hoped. Also, it wasn't as nice looking as I'd like. More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment